Search

2009-07-29

Site Update: My Old Essays

This is one of those short maintenance posts that just let's everybody know what's up on the blog. I'm going to be moving over all of my old Ghibli-themed and movie-themed essays from DanielThomas.org to The Ghibli Blog. These are essays that date from 2003-2006, when my art site was my major creative outlet.

I think reading these will prove helpful for everyone, because it shows me in the process of discovering, learning, and absorbing these great films. Like most of you, I began fairly recently, with Mononoke and Spirited Away, then I watched old videotapes of Totoro and Kiki, and then mustered up the courage for Grave of the Fireflies (it took me two days to make it to the end, I was so overwhelmed). And around 2000-2001 I started tracking down the Miyazaki movies via Kazaa. Remember Kazaa?

My understanding of Miyazaki and Takahata was constantly evolving, just as my writing was evolving. I'd like to believe I'm a stronger writer today, in 2009. I think I was a better writer in 2005 than in 2003, when I was really struggling with long-form reviews. These things become easier over time. You just have to put in the practice time, like anything else.

So, anyway, I'll be posting my old reviews here on the blog. The original date will be included, so that there's no confusion. It should be interesting to see where my ideas have changed on these films.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be very glad to read your essay on Future Boy Conan ;-)... Seriously, even if it comes in a distant future I'll be glad to read it.

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover