Search

2009-05-07

Posters - Gedo Senki (Tales From Earthsea)


Say what you will about Goro Miyazaki's Gedo Senki. The movie poster is spectacular. This is one of my favorite Ghibli posters, period. The color is rich and deep, the composition of the piece is solid, complex, and brings you into its world. This is a poster that makes you want to grab some tickets as quickly as possible.

Pity that the film didn't live up to the hype. This is a crowded city I would love to explore, like a very warm, expressionist Mediterranean port. It's too bad Goro-san couldn't conjure anything to fulfill the promise of this illustration. Ah, well. You'll be happy to hang this on your wall in any event.

2 comments:

Geoff N said...

Wow, that truly is a splendid poster. I'm not sure what I like more, the wonderful color palette, the great use of light or the mere fact they packed so much depth into it.

I totally agree, I would love to take a stroll through that city and experience the sights and sounds. In fact, I have now made this my desktop background, except I used the version found on Nausicaa.net that is slightly different and works better for a background.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/earthsea/poster_images/JapanB_full.jpg

Doug said...

Thanks for that link! Me too now.

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover